Re: marianna sanna, Italy kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Marianna,

Within a couple of weeks some of our more advanced List members will
try to update the agrsm code,
hopefully to achieve functionality under 2.6.31 karmic kernels for the
11c11040 modem chip.  The dkms component leading dkms-agrsm just
refers to a separate dkms update manager software.

It is possibly with difficulty to install older 2.6.27 Intrepid series
kernels under which there are functional agrsm drivers.
However, this process is NOT for the Linux novice, as it required a
risky uninstalling and reinstalling of the grub2 bootup manager.
Additionally, for my Nvidia graphics board at least, the 2.6.27
kernel+module code was not fully compatible with stable displays on my
otherwise Ubuntu Karmic system.

Thus for now the recommended options for now are:
1) wait a few weeks with hope that the agrsm code updates are successful;
2) Consider buying a currently supported modem.  Read InfoGeneral.txt
about alternative modem hardware.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer