Re: Modem Scan

Denver,

scanModem reports that your modem is supported by slamr which is
provided in slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz and
ungrab-winmodem-20090716.tar.gz.

But you can even do better than that with a preloaded slamr found in

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/Ubuntu/slamr-2.6.28-11-generic.tar.gz

Do download it, copy it to your linux partition and extract it
$ tar -zxvf slamr-2.6.28-11-generic.tar.gz
run
$ sudo ./setup

and everything should be ready to go, except installation of wvdial
which was not found on your system according to scanModem.

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:0b.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Smart Link Ltd. SmartPCI2800 V.92 PCI Soft DFT "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=2000:2800
SUBSYS=163c:2800
IRQ=19
IDENT=slamr

 For candidate modem in:  00:0b.0
   0703 Modem: Smart Link Ltd. SmartPCI2800 V.92 PCI Soft DFT
      Primary device ID:  2000:2800
 Support type needed or chipset:	slamr

The modem is supported by the Smartlink
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

For 2.6.28-11-generic compiling drivers is necessary. As of October
2007 the current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/  are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and slmodem-2.9.11-20080126.tar.gz

The dialer utility package WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on
your System.
For Ubuntu Jaunty users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/:
     wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
These are about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your
Linux partition:
$ unzip wv*.zip
Within the new folder:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
will  complete the wvdial installation
Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

After installation of wvdial and slamr driver, run
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial
edit it
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
and remove the ";" and add your username, password and ISP's phone
number add a line "Carrier Check = no" to your /etc/wvdial.conf file.
Try to dialout and if you encounter trouble please report back to list
not me as I have been having connection The dialer utility package
WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on your System.
For Ubuntu Jaunty users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/:
     wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
These are about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your
Linux partition:
$ unzip wv*.zip
Within the new folder:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
will  complete the wvdial installation
Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

After installation of wvdial and slamr module, run
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
and it should find /dev/ttySL0 as the modem port. edit the file with
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
and remove the ";" and add your username, password and ISP's phone
number and a line "Carrier Check = no", try to establish a connection.
 If you encounter difficulties, please let us know (list) as I have
been having connection problems at home.

Regards,

Antonio