Re: Compiling the Intel 537 driver: start from here please.

Still, following a discussion with Philippe, may we ask you to positively verify that the kernel-devel stuff is installed on your computer?

There are two ways (at least) to verify:

1-Philippe: You can read http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/Intel/Philippe.Vouters/Intel-Readme.html

2-or me: since SuSE is an RPM system you can simply rpm -qa | grep kernel and watch if you see kernel-devel

in the list. You can even rpm -qa | grep kernel-devel but if absent you see nothing else, and I like to see something as I am typos prone.

If you do not have kernel-devel installed, you must install it either from a disk or the network, using yast or yum or apt-get or any equivalent which you may know. Again, the file is kernel-devel .

Then, try again to compile the driver.

Jacques (quoting Philippe).

Dear Jacques,

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

I did download the original driver file from Phillipe's website, and I now have the latest version (also from his website). This fails in just the same way as the earlier version.

I VERY strongly suspect a "sick" kernel version. I needed to upgrade the stock kernel in 11.1 to enable my TV card to work, so I downloaded pre-compiled rpms from the openSUSE Build Service. I did this because I have never compiled a kernel from scratch before, and, since I am using my main computer, I was scared to try it in case it crashed! I have had no trouble with this kernel on a day-to-day basis.
I will follow your suggestions, and report back as soon as I can.

Best regards

Lawson