Re: cannot get GnomePPP to detect modem /dev/537

Steve,

Beware that while wvdial uses as its configuration file  /etc/wvdial.conf ,

the graphical  gnome-ppp front end of wvdial uses a different config
file!  It is:
$ ls -l .w*
-rw-r--r-- 1 marv marv 42 2009-10-07 18:47 .wvdial.conf
So gnome-ppp will not work automatically just because wvdial worked.
Rather its own setup process must be run, with the save to .wvdial  in
your home folder.
The "." means hidden. But you can still read its contents.  For instance with:
$ cat .wvdial.conf

Also as Jacque has related, you may have to set a /dev/modem symbolic link.

MarvS