Re: cannot get GnomePPP to detect modem /dev/537

Sorry Steve,

I missed in your original post that you succeeded getting connected with wvdial, thus the problem is strictly with GnomePPP.

May I first ask if indeed wvdialconf detected the modem as /dev/537 ? This is what your wvdial.conf, can you please confirm that it works?

Then can you tell me what the following command reports?

sudo  ls  -l  /dev/modem

If it shows nothing, or if it shows anything else than a link pointing to /dev/537 , can you please give the following command

sudo  ln - sf  /dev/537  /dev/modem

and then try GnomePPP again, and let me know the outcome?

I have difficulty to admit that an initialization string could be responsible for not detecting the modem, and I would try GnomePPP with its default strings, and perhaps even with nothing else than ATZ in string 1. However you may have knowledge which I do not have about AT commands needed by the 537 driver.

In case of further failure, may I ask if you know and have tried to apply the following document?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-ppp/+bug/384060

Jacques