Re: Softmodem modem support, Linuxant and other.

Fax capability is supported by several of the winmodem chips under Linux.
This includes Conexants, pctel, Smartlink (but not the slmodemd + ALSA
driver combinations), older Agere chips, an ESS, some Motorola and
likely others I don't explicitly remember.
The Linux distros decreasingly concerned with winmodems, as usage of
faster modalities becomes dominant,
so the modem volunteers are always in catchup role, with emerging kernels.

Also fax is likely of decreasing significance, with the continued
development of PDF formats, as a commercial medium

MarvS