Re: Artur, Uzbekistan, Debian Lenny 2.6.26-2-686

On certain software modems, 56K was only for outbound speeds.  Inbound speeds
were limited by the fax software, even when a fax wasn't being received.

Others here may know of a setting you can tweak, but I remember hearing about
this from my BBS days.  Certain brands were notorious for it.   Kind of like
Toshiba is notorious for putting modems in their notebooks (and WinBooks) but
advertising those units as having "fax modems" even though there is no fax
capability what-so-ever.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions