Re: mehionline, Iran, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic

The current SL-MODEM stuff for ubuntu is broken very badly.

You should track the progress in launcpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=sl-
modem&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=

Create an account there then subscribe to bug 375148 and any others you find
listed on the above page which sound interesting.  The current maintainer of
this package doesn't appear to even compile his changes before posting the
stuff.  He sent me an email for a private link today.  I installed it.  I was
shocked that it actually installed.  It doesn't work, but at least it
installs, so he has fixed one of his major problems.

My "work-around" for this situation was to buy some actual branded USR PCI
modems on eBay.  The guy currently supporting SL-MODEM is probably never going
to get it working and the INTEL support for the new Ubuntu kernel will only
happen after someone pays HP oodles and gobs of cash, so people might as well
toss all of their INTEL modems in the trash.

Old USR modems can still be found on eBay and they don't require any of this
buggy stuff.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions