Re: Ubuntu autoconf.h

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Philippe Vouters wrote:

If bash shell codes lecture does not make you completely lost, you can
read in intel-536-537/config_check that make 536 expects a file
autoconf.h in the following directory :

/lib/modules/$KERNVER/build/include/linux/

$KERNER is set up with `uname -r`

This error comes the fact you are missing a kernel-devel package installation in your Ubuntu running computer.

I don't believe I am missing any dev package, but I could be wrong. If I am missing a kernel-dev package, someone could please let me know what it is. According to the link below, you will see that autoconf.h is not included in any package of the recent header files.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=autoconf.h&mode=exactfilename&suite=jaunty&arch=i386

It is included in the header files package of the original Jaunty release kernel 2.6.28-11-generic

It is not included in the header files package of updated kernel releases 2.6.28-12-generic 2.6.28-13-generic2.6.28-14-generic

In fact, I am no longer willing to pay at my own expenses for vouters.dyndns.org DNS name and for the electricity that feeds my computer 24 hours a day 365 days a year. All this has a cost.

So your new site will be http://x9000.fr:8088/Intel . Great, I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for hosting. I will update the ubuntu wiki.

This error comes the fact you are missing a kernel-devel package
installation in your Ubuntu running computer. Refer to
http://x9000.fr:8088/Intel/Intel-Readme.html

Please note http://vouters.dyndns.org:8080/ will disappear when
dyndns.com will cleanup its database.

In fact, I am no longer willing to pay at my own expenses for
vouters.dyndns.org DNS name and for the electricity that feeds my
computer 24 hours a day 365 days a year. All this has a cost.

All my private Web site is being moved to http://x9000.fr:8088/ and I am
working to further move it to http://www.x9000.fr/ as soon as I can get
Apache/OpenVMS and WASD Web servers working the exact same way on the
Web content.

Using the most recent version of Ubuntu Jaunty, there is a problem compiling the package located here:
http://vouters.dyndns.org:8080/Intel/intel-536EP-537EP-2009_07_07.tar.bz2

# make 536
cd coredrv; make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/intel-536-537/coredrv'
rm -f *.ko .*.o.cmd *.mod.c .*.ko.cmd *.o *~ core Module.* modules.*
rm -rf .tmp_versions
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/intel-536-537/coredrv'
rm -f *.o *.ko
   Module precompile check
   Current running kernel is: 2.6.28-14-generic
   /lib/modules...   autoconf.h does not exist
   please install kernel source
make: *** [check] Error 1

autoconf.h
is not included in the latest headers of Ubuntu kernels.

I do not know
what is it used for, and I do not know why it is not included. My only
concern is getting the driver compiled. Perhaps it is possible for the
compilation process to gather the required information from another
source?

I have made a post regarding this issue on the Ubuntu forums.

Currently, compiling for the latest Ubuntu Jaunty kernels is not possible via the latest 536EP source.

Maybe they are planning on you creating the file yourself.

Possible solution #1:

You may be able to copy an old one into place. All that file does is set C defines for the features of the kernel you asked for at build time.

Like so:

/*
 * Automatically generated C config: don't edit
 * Linux kernel version: 2.6.30.3
 * Wed Jul 29 23:58:52 2009
 */
#define AUTOCONF_INCLUDED
#define CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD 1
#define CONFIG_HID_CHERRY 1
#define CONFIG_CRYPTO_ANUBIS_MODULE 1
#define CONFIG_FRAME_WARN 1024
#define CONFIG_JBD2_MODULE 1
#define CONFIG_NETFILTER_TPROXY_MODULE 1
#define CONFIG_TCP_CONG_ADVANCED 1
#define CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG "arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig"
#define CONFIG_JFS_POSIX_ACL 1
#define CONFIG_IP6_NF_TARGET_REJECT_MODULE 1

Possible solution #2:

Since the file is made during a build, start a build and go far enough to generate the file:

cd /usr/src/linux  (or wherever you keep the kernel source)

zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make oldconfig
make modules_prepare  (or just 'make' to do the full thing)

#2 is the better choice, but more complex.