Re: Help with a Motorola SM56/Smartlink modem

before starting a diaolout
$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1e:68:de:1f:70
          inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21e:68ff:fede:1f70/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2763807 (2.7 MB)  TX bytes:244600 (244.6 KB)
          Interrupt:251 Base address:0x6000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

The lo channel is OK.  But it there is an eth0 or wlan0 channel, they
must be shutdown before dialout, with a command like:
$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down
or else DNS services will fail upon dialout.

MarvS