Re: Help with a Motorola SM56/Smartlink modem

Dudes, I downloaded the package slamr-2.6.24-16-generic for my kernel
(Kubuntu 8.04) as ModemData.txt and Marvin said, did everything else
(unpacking, sudo./setup) and now Kubuntu identifies the modem chipset.
The OS installed the driver and told me that I'm using a restricted
driver (non-free software). Just fine.

I configured KPPP to connect to my ISP, and it actually does. It dials
and connects well, but now I'm facing 2 issues:

-  KPPP connects even if the password was not fully correctly written.
For example, let's suppose my password is "rz23uh09". If I type
anything else, KPPP tells me that there is something wrong. But if I
type "rz23uh09XXX$·%·" or whatever after the "09", it establishes the
connection, like if KPPP it's recognizing a regular expression
containing the password, and not the exact match for the password
string. Is this normal?

-  When I get connected to my ISP, I open Konqueror and try to open
Google homepage, but can't do it. Konqueror shows its 404 error page
(can't find the web site), but gets to show the Google icon in the
address bar, so, it means Konqueror connects somehow partially to
Google and retrieves its icon. This happens with all web pages I try
to connect to. Maybe the connection is not well configured (a sign of
this would be the password recognition described before) and due to
this, the connection may be somehow incomplete.

I do not use any proxy or firewall, I connect directly to the Internet.

Do I have to configure anything else in Kubuntu? My computer is not
connected to a LAN, WAN or anything else, so I don't have a permanent
manual network configuration. When I dial up, the ISP sends me an IP
address automatically and sets the gateway address. I've tried to put
this information into "/etc/network/interfaces" when connected, and do
a "/etc/init.d networking restart", but didn't work.

Thanx.