Re: OMG Please Help Me

Neal,

Seems that your modem is a USB modem, for some reason or another
scanModem did not report more information

 ID 0483:7554 SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k SoftModem

You may look here:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg03241.html

your modem is supported by slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz and I
believe that you do not need ungrab-winmodem-20090716.tar.gz since
your modem is USB and not PCI.

Marv and others find that the modem works provided you change
something in the slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz code:

Compilation of USB drivers with Proprietary licenses was blocked under
Linux as of 2.6.25  kernels.  However there has been RECENTLY a
reinterpretation of the slmodem Lincense, ie., that the License within
the file drivers/st7554.c
should actually not Proprietary, but
MODULE_LICENSE("Dual BSD/GPL");
which does allow compiling.
This seems OK with the Debian folk, who are most picky on these
issues, so it is being changed in the packages we maintain, at least
until someone complains.

[olivares@localhost drivers]$ cat st7554.c | grep MODULE_LICENSE
//MODULE_LICENSE("Smart Link Ltd.");
MODULE_LICENSE("Dual BSD/GPL");

So you may safely download the slmodem-2.9.11-2009022.tar.gz file

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz

Extract it with
$ tar -zxvf slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz
$ cd slmodem-2.9.11-20090222/
$ cd drivers/
$ sudo make USB=1

Then after that completes do check if slusb.ko is created and try to
see if the modem responds.

$ sudo modprobe slusb
$ sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY /dev/slusb0

and hopefully you see that your modem is identified and that you can
connect with it.

will
CC: Marv

so that he can verify/and/or correct the the steps I have tried to
outline for you here.

Regards,

Antonio