Re: Modem driver won't connect

Chris,

You have the wrong driver. You may run dmesg and see that the driver
might be initialized, but without the hardware it will not work.   You
need the martian-full-20080625.tar.gz file instead and compile it.
You might need an earlier version, but I believe this one works, if it
does not you may fallback to a previous version.

From
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-full-20080625.tar.gz

Download it and extract it with
$ tar -zxvf martian-20080625.tar.gz

Also get the packages that scanModem suggests:
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at
http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.

After downloading and installing those with
$ sudo dkpg *.deb

proceed with installation of martian modem drivers
$ cd martian-full-20080625
$ make all
$ sudo make install
$ sudo modprobe martiian_dev
$ sudo martian_modem

should tell you that your modem port is /dev/ttySM0.  open up a
terminal or tab and type
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it should scan and find /dev/ttySM0 as the modem port.  Edit it and
remove the ";" and add username, password, ISP phone number and a line
Carrier Check = no.  You may also add another line with a comment
# Stupid Mode = 1
if you have trouble connecting to certian ISPs.

If you have further questions or troubles, please write back.

Regards,

Antonio