Linux HaM Modem

I have an old Intel HaM modem, and according to scanModem is no longer supported in the 2.6.xx kernels. I would like to confirm that there is absolutely no way to get it working without downgrading my kernel, meaning that there are no 3rd 'hacks' or other patches available? In that case, what inexpensive (preferably internal) fax modem that supports Linux could you guys recommended?

Thanks,

ddcc