login problems

Hello everyone,

I installed the slmodemd package, but couldn't get alsa to work.  The instructions said to put two hyphens in front of alsa on the command line when only one is the right syntax, and I think that's what messed things up. However, I can live without sound.  What I can't accept is not being able to log on to my ISP.  The modem goes though its initialization commands, dials the number, the user name and password are accepted, and then I get this message over and over:

--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

I checked the properties of both wvdial.conf and /usr/sbin/pppd and they are both root.  I did use the chmod 666 command on wvdial.conf to allow me to edit it.

What do I do now?

Thanks for your help,
Morris