Re: problem with compiling

Morris,

You need not compile anything!  scanModem recommends SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz

Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-intel8x0m
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Instead of getting the gcc4.3.tar.gz one get the following one:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.17.tar.gz

It should be better for your system.
The ALSA verion is 1.0.17

Try it out and report back.