Re: New Case Only

Clark

RE:  Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.
-------
The sl-modem-daemon package has an older version slmodemd which may
not serve well.
It there is a setup file in the SLMODEMD.gcc4.2/   folder, just run
$ sudo ./setup
It should proceed through a first testing of the modem and creation of
a file /etc/wvdial.conf

Edit in your personal info with
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
removing the symbols ;  <  >

Set your COUNTRY with:
$ sudo gedit /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon
replacing the default USA with UK

Then
$ sudo   /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon
will reread these setting and setup the modem.  This is done
automatically on bootup by sl-modem-daemon scripts
$ ls -l /dev/ttySL0
output should include   /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   (the true modem port)

You should then be able to dialout with
$ sudo wvdial

The snd-intel8x0m modem driver sometimes dies when loaded.  If so you can
$ sudo   /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon
and redial

wvdial is recommended other dialers for ease of adding the line
Carrier Check = no
which is necessary for the still audio incompetent /dev/pts/N  ports.

MarvS