Re: Adrian Goodliffe, Chad kernel 2.6.24-21-generic

Adrian,

The modem driver snd-intel8x0m occassionally needs unloading and reloading:
$ modprobe -r snd-intel8x0m
$ modprobe  snd-intel8x0m
but otherwise all looks OK on your System.

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD_gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD_gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
        sudo slmodemd -c COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

The COUNTRY setting may be a problem. For setup testing you can use:
$  sudo slmodemd -c USA --alsa modem:1
Because the output from
$ slmodemd --countrylist
does not include CHAD.  Thus connections may be difficult if an
appropriate setting is not used

Try to determine what the hexadecimal modem country code is for CHAD.
The right had column in the
$ slmodemd --countrylist
output are the  hexadecimal codes.  You could then use any COUNTRY
which has the same hexadecimal code as CHAD.  You may be also be able
to  determine the code from the modem setup info under Microsoft.

Do write back to the LIST (not me directly) for further help.

MarvS