AGRSM help for newbies

I have just been through a slow learning process getting my dialler
working.  It is fine.  The experience of newbies with difficulties
understanding may be harder to capture than the finer points of hardware
and software.

Therefore I am putting together an explanatory text that might help.
Please feel free to comment or advise corrections.

Overview: Using Linux as a base for dialling Internet Service Providers

Many may want to use their computers this way when travelling away from
their normal home base and its broadband or cable connections. This
write-up is intended to help you to understand what steps you are
completing as you going through the installation and setup procedures.
Then, when something does not work, you may find this a helpful guide as
to what is missing or disconnected.

Background

     1. Modems used with computers are usually proprietary products for
        which the manufacturer has inserted some technology that is
        considered a trade secret. For this reason, manufacturers are
        reluctant to issue copies of the software needed, for fear that
        the secrets inherent in the modems are revealed.

     2. The proprietary nature of the software then means that it cannot
        be included in distributions of linux (such as Debian or Ubuntu,
        Red Hat or SUSE) since everything in these distributions is
        always open and free to be copied by any and all users. To
        preserve this fundamental basic rule, indeed foundation, of
        linux, users who want to connect through modems have to find and
        install certain proprietary programs for themselves.

     3. Modems are connected through files kept in the /dev directory.
        This is a dynamic directory which is generated by the linux
        kernel when it is booted and loaded. The reason it is dynamic is
        that for the modern Plug and Play connection of units
        (particularly modems on USB wires, or modems plugged into
        through PCMCIA ports), the operating system has to assemble a
        set of device files that suit what is going on. The files in
        the /dev directory are lost when the computer is shut down, and
        therefore have to be regenerated when the computer is started
        up

     4. Programs going by the family name of AGRSM have been written to
        handle the needs of modems made by Agere corporation. The most
        common of these is the 011c11040 model. For it, the program
        AGRmodem (hereafter written as “agrmodem”) has been prepared and
        will be accessed by linux through the file name of /dev/modem.
        Rather than use that standard name /dev/modem, however, it is
        preferable to use a special name for this manufacture such
        as /dev/AGR1, or /dev/AGR3.

     5. These driver programs are intimately connected into the linux
        kernel. They have to be regenerated whenever the kernel is
        rebuilt, which needs to be rather frequently. It would therefore
        be valuable to have something that does the regeneration
        automatically, whenever the kernel is regenerated. That has been
        written, too. “dkms” is the program that lives in the kernel and
        invites (flags the need for) the regeneration, while dkms-agrsm
        is the one that actually will do the regeneration, when so
        invited.

     6. In addition, all modems work through one of the serial ports in
        the computer (in DOS and Windows these are called COM1, COM3
        etc.) Therefore Agere Corporation has prepared a matching
        program to handle the connection of the 11c11040 modem through
        the serial port it will use. Handling this requirement in a
        similar way, this program is to be placed in /dev/SAGR – short
        for serial port of AGERE modem system.

     7. At this point, we could dial the internet service provider and
        type in our signon code and password when the ISP answers the
        phone; then press a button to get the modem program to start
        exchanging data through the serial port. However, it is easier
        and more consistent to store the signon codes and password in a
        dialler program. So we will need to set that up too. The
        password has the added requirement that we have to store it in a
        secret, hidden place.

     8. We therefore require the following:

     a. The programs agrmodem and agrserial. These programs are also
        called “drivers”. Operating versions have the suffix “.ko”

     b. A program to pick up the master copy of these driver programs
        and put them in the /dev directory when the computer is booted.
        This is called “agrtools”.

     c. An instruction that the computer is not to use /dev/modem but
        the equivalent address of /dev/AGR3. These instructions are “ln”
        symbolic links.

     d. For the dialler program we could use “wvdial” directly or Gnome
        PPP with is a GUI presentation of the same thing.

     e. “dkms-agrsm” needs to be installed, waiting and connected, for
        whenever the kernel is regenerated.

        Now you can proceed into the details

(Observations: wvdial.conf is not a very secret
place. /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has root read locks on it. But wvdial.conf
which is without any lock, and holds the ISP access passport in clear.

That is why this configuration reference file is put into /etc. So that
it will need root to handle or change it.

It is not quite clear to me why wvdial.conf says “Modem = /dev/ttySAGR”,
when we are not going to use that. We are putting in the links, why not
use /dev/modem, or even go direct to /dev/ttyAGR3.

I have not put in anything about the linux headers since I do not quite
follow that part yet.

I have not explained what HDA stands for

I also do not follow the ALSA issue, but suppose AGRSM needs to
neutralize the sound card outputs.

What would be the most useful place to send this?)

mng 2009/02/13