Re: Configuring AC'97 softmodem on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

EL,

The sl-modem-daemon package you installed is setting up the modem on
bootup,  That is why the is a later failure
--------
error: alsa setup: cannot open playback device 'modem:1': Device or
resource busy
   error: cannot setup device `modem:1'
---------
because modem:1   is already in use.

Do:
$ sudo gedit  /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon
and change the default COUNTRY  from USA  to GERMANY.
Then
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon  restart
to establish GERMANY

RE:   Carrier Check issue:
Don't use gnome-ppp.
Rather do:
$ sudo wvdialconf
Then use
$ sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
to add a line:
Carrier  Check  =  no

Then trial a dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

There may be a way to add "Carrier Check = no"  to the gnome-ppp
configuration file, but I haven't check.  Gnome-ppp is no more that a
front end to wvdial, but less flexible.

MarvS