PCMCIA linmodems driver

Hello all,

and finally it's there:

The PCMCIA version of the linmodems driver based on the martian code!

I have tested it with a 2.6.26 kernel. But it should work with earlier
kernels (down to 2.6.15 ?).
It comes in form of an automake/autoconf enabled package.

To install:

1) Unpack archive with

    tar -xjf martian_drv-0.4.tar.bz2

2) Go to new directory
    cd martian_drv-0.4

3) Configure with PCMCIA enabled
    ./configure --with-pcmcia [--with-pcmcia-debug]
Include the second option (removing the []) to enable the debug output
of the kernel module.
If you leave away both options it (should) configure for the original
PCI version of the driver.

4) Edit the file src/driver/martian_cs.c. At the end of the file a
structure is defined:
static struct pcmcia_device_id martian_ids[] = {

Add here the information from your PCMCIA card, extracted with
'pccardctl info' and the hash values (two last arguments) can be
extracted as follows (from LINUX kernel documentation):

>You can determine the hash of the product ID strings by catting the file
>"modalias" in the sysfs directory of the PCMCIA device. It generates a
string
>in the following form:
>pcmcia:m0149cC1ABf06pfn00fn00pa725B842DpbF1EFEE84pc0877B627pd00000000

>The hex value after "pa" is the hash of product ID string 1, after "pb" for
>string 2 and so on.

This enables automatic driver loading upon insertion of the PCMCIA card.
Otherwise one has to load the driver by hand via 'modprobe martian_drv_cs'.
The sysfs directory is /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/.... (for the nonexperts
;-) )

5) Compile it
    sudo make

6) Install it
    sudo make install

6) Insert your modem
If you completed step 4 successfully, 'lsmod' should show now a module
martian_drv_cs.
Otherwise use 'modprobe martian_drv_cs' to load the module. Check with
'dmesg' that the module as found a card. It should report the used port
and IRQ.

7) Start the modem helper application:
    martian_modem [--debug=5]
The option will enable lots of debugging output. May be helpful if
something does not work.

8) Setup the modem with your distros favorite tool, using ttySM0 as device.

9) Connect with your favorite dialer.

If something fails... Ask at this list. Try to include as much
information as possible. Especially the outputs of 'pccardctl info' and
the content of the modalias file for the PCMCIA device.

After along time (more than 2 years) I managed to get it running over
Christmas, having access to hardware only temporarily. After some code
cleanups, the driver is now ready for general testing. If you manage to
get it running with your modem, it would be nice if you could send the
entry in the pcmcia_device_id table to the list, so that I can include
it in further releases of the code. In a further release I will try to
automate this process.

Have a nice weekend,

Joern