Re: Anthony Brown , US Ubuntu kernel 2.6.24-19-generic Agere softmodem

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Timur Irmatov <irmatov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Marvin Stodolsky
> <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> re: Dec 24 09:01:28 anthony-laptop pppd[5966]: No response to 4 echo-requests
>>
>> Read /etc/ppp/options and
>> $ man pppd
>> about LCP adjustments.   Also the PostInstall Howto at
>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il
>
> Before doing any adjustments, I would recommend to add 'debug' option
> to your /etc/ppp/options file to get more detailed pppd log. Also,
> please try reconnecting several times to see if all the attempts will
> have same results..

Also, as I see from your log, pppd terminates the connection after 1.5
minutes after successfully connecting to ISP. Connection termination
due to 'no response to echo-requests' is pretty normal. By 'normal' I
mean that there is no misconfiguration on your part (I assume you
haven't tweaked anything LCP-related in pppd configuration), and in
general it means that your computer cannot see remote end through your
modem link. How stable your dialup is working under Windows? Do you
get high speed, do you have frequent disconnects (if any) ? Also, it
could mean that the driver is NOT working properly. I also have Agere
HDA modem, and under my Ubuntu system I can establish a link with ISP,
but I cannot do almost anything except pings (with strange delays)..

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@xxxxxxxxx