Re: Leslie; Australia; 2.6.25.4; "Use wvdial" instructions

Leslie,

The fix Antonio reported is already in the current martian package you
are using,
so that is not the problem.

MarvS

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Leslie Katz <lesliek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> " Only plain text email is forwarded by the  Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List
>>> Server,
>>> as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
>>>         YourName, YourCountry  kernel 2.6.25.4
>>> With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case
>>> names
>>> left in the Archive.
>>> YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Linux experts in
>>> YourCountry
>>> can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html.
>>> They will know your Country's modem code, which may be essential for
>>> dialup
>>> service.
>>> Provider mail filters.
>>> So in a day, also check the Archived responses at
>>> http://www.linmodems.org
>>> --------------------------  System information
>>> ----------------------------
>>> CPU=i686, Linux version 2.6.25.4 (root@zenwalk) (gcc version 4.2.3) #1
>>> SMP
>>> PREEMPT Fri May 16 14:10:46 CEST 2008
>>> scanModem update of:  2008_11_06
>>>
>>> Modem drivers blocked from loading during bootup are listed in
>>> /etc/modprobe* file lines:
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:blacklist snd-intel8x0m
>>>
>>> Attached USB devices are:
>>> ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>>
>>> USB modems not recognized
>>>
>>> For candidate card in slot 00:09.1, firmware information and bootup
>>> diagnostics are:
>>> PCI slot    PCI ID        SubsystemID    Name
>>> ----------    ---------    ---------    --------------
>>> 00:09.1    11c1:0445    8086:2204    Serial controller: Agere Systems LT
>>> WinModem
>>>
>>> Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
>>> 11:      24863    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, yenta, 164x, uhci_hcd:usb1, ESS
>>> Maestro, ndiswrapper, eth0
>>> --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:09.1 ----
>>> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.1[A] -> Link [C187] -> GSI 11 (level, low)
>>> ->
>>> IRQ 11
>>> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:09.1 disabled
>>> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.1[A] -> Link [C187] -> GSI 11 (level, low)
>>> ->
>>> IRQ 11
>>>
>>> The PCI slot 00:09.1 of the modem card may be disabled early in
>>> a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
>>> but the  modem is not responsive, read DOCs/Bootup.txt about possible
>>> fixes.
>>> Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> if help is needed.
>>>

>>> === Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent
>>> software.
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:09.1:
>>>  Modem chipset  detected on
>>> NAME="Serial controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem"
>>> CLASS=0700
>>> PCIDEV=11c1:0445
>>> SUBSYS=8086:2204
>>> IRQ=11
>>> IDENT=Agere.DSP
>>>
>>> For candidate modem in:  00:09.1
>>>  0700 Serial controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem
>>>    Primary device ID:  11c1:0445
>>> Support type needed or chipset:    Agere.DSP
>>>

>>> ----------------end Softmodem section --------------
>>>
>>> The modem has a Lucent/Agere/LSI Mars or Apollo DSP (digital signal
>>> processing) chipset.
>>> Support packages for 2.6.n kernels are at:
>>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
>>> Always use the most update for kernels after 2.6.20, currently
>>> martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
>>> For kernels 2.6.20 and less, usr martian-full-20080407.tar.gz.
>>>
>>> See DOCs/AgereDSP.txt for Details.
>>>

>>> Vendor 11c1 is Lucent Technologies with modem technology now under LSI
>>> Inc.
>>> Their Linux  code developer/maintainer is Soumyendu Sarkar. Support for a
>>> chipset and its
>>> continued maintenance is only initiated at the request of a major chipset
>>> buyer,
>>> or comparable sponsor. Several different  modem chipset types  are
>>> produced:
>>> with varying support under Linux.
>>> Device ID   Support        Name           Comment
>>> ---------   -------------  -----------    -----------------------------
>>> 0480        serial_drivers Venus           controller chipset 1673JV7
>>> 0440-045d   martian        Mars/Apollo     DSP (digital signal
>>> processing)
>>> chipsets
>>> 0462        none           56K.V90/ADSL Wildwire
>>> 048d none                   SV2P            soft modem
>>> 048(c or f) AGRSM          SV2P            soft modem
>>> 0600        none           soft modem, very few in the field.
>>> 0620        AGRSM          Pinball  soft modem, in some HP desktop PCs
>>> 011c11040   AGRSM          hosted on High Definition Audio cards
>>> 062(1-3)    none           SV92PP,Pinball  soft modem, in some HP desktop
> [...]
>>>
>>> martian - At
>>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
>>> AGRSM - At http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/
>>>  Compiling resources for a driver module pair: agrmodem.ko + agrserial.ko
>>>  Use the  agrsm-HDA-20080721-ALSA15.tar.bz2 or agrsm-HDA-20080721.tar.bz2
>>>  Read the agrsm_howto.txt.  For 11c11040 chips, also the
>>> HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html
>>>
>>> 0x0445 -- Apollo 2 Global Board data/fax only : Modem/LAN combo board
>>> Apollo
>>> behind an Intel 82559
>>> -------------- end Agere Systems section -------------------
>>>
>>> Completed candidate modem analyses.
>>>
>>> The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
>>>
>>> Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.3
>>>           and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.3
>>>

>>> Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
>>>  make utility - /usr/bin/make
>>>  Compiler version 4.2
>>>  linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.25.4/build
>>>
>>> However some compilations and executable functions may need additional
>>> files,
>>> in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in
>>>  /usr/include/ .
>>> For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
>>> required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
>>> Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
>>> packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
>>> In not included on your install CD, search for them at
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
>>> When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.
>>>

>>> If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some
>>> FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
>>> Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
>>> The
>>> minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
>>> and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev
>>>
>>> If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
>>> $  apt-get update
>>> $  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
>>> will install needed packages.
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
>>> display the needed package list:
>>>
>>> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
>>> they can be installed alltogether with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>>

>>> Checking pppd properties:
>>>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 366440 2006-07-01 18:27 /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
>>>  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html
>>>
>>> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>>>  $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>>>       chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>>>   chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> Checking settings of:    /etc/ppp/options
>>> lock
>>> modem