Re: Leslie; Australia; 2.6.25.4; "Use wvdial" instructions

Leslie,

The martian drivers are certainly correct for your hardware.
0445 -- Apollo 2 Global Board data/fax only : Modem/LAN combo board
Apollo behind an Intel 82559
11c1:0445     Serial controller: Agere Systems LT  WinModem

Re: Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
11:      24863    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, yenta, 164x, uhci_hcd:usb1,
ESS Maestro, ndiswrapper, eth0
---------
There is a lot of resource sharing on IRQ 11,
That may be a contributing problem.
164x represents the modem, I think

 You could try shutting down these competing processes, each time
testing for modem access  with:
# wvdialconf  wvtest

Start by ejecting any card in the PCMCIA slots (yenta support module)
Identity the dependent module set with:
#  lsmod  | grep yenta

Shutdown eth0, which must be done before any dialout to avoid DNS conflicts:
# ifconfig  eth0 down

Remove the external USB devices and try unloading any associated drivers.

Lastly stop audio, and retest modem access.

MarvS

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Leslie Katz <lesliek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> $  apt-get update
> $  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
> will install needed packages.
> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
> display the needed package list:
>
> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
> they can be installed alltogether with:
> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>

> Checking pppd properties:
>   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 366440 2006-07-01 18:27 /usr/sbin/pppd
>
> In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
>   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html
>
> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>   $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>        chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>    chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>
> Checking settings of:    /etc/ppp/options
> asyncmap 0
> crtscts
> lock
> modem
> proxyarp
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4
>
> In case of a message like:
>  Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
> see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html
>
> Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0 wlan0
> Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.
>
> Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting
> be necessary.
>
> Checking for modem support lines:
> --------------------------------------
>    /device/modem symbolic link:  slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
>    Within /etc/udev/ files:
>
>    Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:# ALSA modules to support sound modems.  These
> should be loaded manually
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
>    Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
>
>    Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:
>
> --------- end modem support lines --------"
>
> Can I please add one thing? I'm able now to get onto the Internet with the
> computer via either Ethernet or wirelessly. However, that's only in Sydney.
> I'd also like to travel with the computer to places in the country where
> dial-up is my only option and that's why I'm pursuing this. Right now, I
> have to take another laptop running Windows when I go to such places.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Leslie
>

> Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
>>
>> Leslie,
>>
>> Please send us your entire ModemData.txt  , from running scanModem
>>
>> MarvS
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Antonio Olivares
>> <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Leslie,
>>>
>>> Why don't you try /dev/ttySM0 as the modem port and attempt the

>>> Baud = 460800
>>> Init1 = ATZ
>>> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0