Re: unable to connect with internal modem under Ubuntu

Devon,

That prompt after a username and a password which went through:
--> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "ppp".
> > ppp
> > 'ppp' is not a valid command.
is definitely abnormal.

I cannot figure out how access can be free with a universal password and username while the dialog shows:
>>> CVX Access Switch.
>>> Access is restricted to authorized users only.
Do you have any idea about what this CVX means?
What is your ISP?
In which country?
Could it be that after having having accepted the username and password the ISP waits for something else?

What happens if you add this line in /etc/wvdial.conf  (say near rhe end)?
Stupid Mode = yes
What this one does is to make YOUR modem immediately request an Internet connection rather than waiting for THE OTHER SIDE to take control. Since the other side sends a prompt perhaps Stupid Mode will make everything work before that prompt.

I am sorry to be inefficient here: you are using wvdial version 1.60 while I stick to 1.54 because of an other unrelated bug in 1.60.
As far as I know, wvdial should day   pppd  , not ppp.

What happens if you say
sudo find / -name pppd
and then
sudo find / -name ppp

Thanks for such extra info.

Jacques

D Brewer wrote:
Jacques,

Thank you for your help. I just disabled the Login line (so it now looks like ";Login = guest") and re-ran wvdial. I got the same report as I appended earlier -- wvdial sent "ppp" and so on.
Devon