Re: where are all the success stories / linux winmodem drivers?

Modem chipsets on High Definition Audio (HDA) cards
This is an increasing popular type of audio card, which may host one
of a variety of modem chips on the audio card Subsystem. These modems
are prevalent within newer PCs.  As of January 2009, there are three
cases with respect to Linux support.  These can be usually be
distinguished under Linux by the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture) diagnostics written to the /proc/asound/ subfolders.

1) The first case family have in common a Silicon Instruments Si3054
"base" chip with a typical diagnostic file  /proc/asound/card0/codec#1
including initial lines like:
--------------------------
Codec: Generic 11c1 Si3054
Address: 1
Vendor Id: 0x11c13026
--------------------------
wherein 11c1 is the chip manufacture designation and 3026 one of the
chips 11c1  produces.

Manufacturer information is written on the Si3054 base, showing final
chip designations currently among one of:  163c3055 163c3155 11c13026
11c13055 11c13155 10573055 10573057 10573155 11063288 15433155
18540018 .    These designations specify the software to be used under
Microsoft.  But under Linux, this 3rd case family are supported at a
"low level" by a single audio+modem driver, snd-hda-intel, which is
included in the ALSA code.  The driver accesses the modem chip most
directly.  But most of the higher level COMM functionalities are
provided by a non-driver utility "slmodemd", which will be described
in more detail below.   There is service for both Intel and x86_64
architectures, even though slmodemd utility must be compiled with 32
bit resources.

2) The second class is comprized of two chips manufactured by 14f1
(Conexant designation) whose file  /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 file
includes lines like:
--------------------------
Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
Address: 1
Vendor Id: 0x14f12bfa
--------------------------

reporting the modem chip 14f12bfa . This chip and a newer 14f12c06
chip can only be supported through the hsfmodem software from
http://www.linuxant.com.  The test installation only provides for
14,400 mH speed.  A software key must be purchased for $25 USA, to
activate full speed service, but it is good for all future kernel
updates.  There is support for both Intel and AMD (x86_64) processor
architectures.

Unfortunately there is currently no support for x86_64 motherboards.
However installations for Intel motherboards which typically work on
x86_64 boards, and there on will support modem usage.

3)  The 3nd case is 11c11040 chip manufactured by LSI Inc (which
absorbed the former 11c1 designation of  Agere Systems Inc.) with a
diagnostic report like:
--------------------------
Codec: LSI ID 1040
Address: 1
Vendor Id: 0x11c11040
--------------------------
There is software  provided by LSI from which a driver pair agrmodem +
agrserial can be compiled.  The first kernels supported were the
2.6.21 releases.  Volunteers have been able to update the Open Source
code components for support upto 2.6.27 series kernels.  For details
see:  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/
Currently these drivers cannot serve kernel + modules installations
specific for x86_64 motherboards, because the agrmodem driver has a
precompiled 32 bit component which cannot be be incorporated into 64
bit drivers.  However these motherboards do typically function with
kernel + module sets for Intel architecture motherboards, with some
minor lose in overall performance.

The AC'97 modem family  - to follow