Re: where are all the success stories / linux winmodem drivers?

Andrew,

 Re: I'd love to find all the winmodem drivers >currently< available for Linux,
A worth while endeavor, but the question really should be "which
chipsets have drivers under Linux, for which processors, up to which
kernel release??".

 Essentially all the answers are embedded within my scanModem utility,
but are not user friendly to readout, unless you are already literate
in bash scripts.  Herein I'll provide a cartoon explanation, and time
permitting it may be made more robust in the future.  The primary goal
herein is to correct some mis-conceptions in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82608.

MarvS, scanModem maintainer

INTRODUCTION

1) It is not possible to write drivers for winmodems from scratch,
because Proprietary information on the chipsets will not be provided
by the chipset manufacturers.  They are making their Profits by
selling a combined package of chipset hardware + supporting Microsoft
compatible software to modem assemblers.

 Nethertheless, over the years, some have provided some free support
for Linux.  Typically there is a pre-compiled and hence encrypted
component, which protects critical Proprietary information, including
Copyrighted compression protocols and information  on detailed chipset
design hardware.  It is usually independent of kernel version.  This
pre-compiled component is typically 0.5-1 MB in size, and the largest
code component, There is an additionally an Open Source (though
usually still Proprietary) component , which must be updated with
changes in the Linux kernel code.  Fortunately,  there has been a
dispersed crew of Linux volunteers (to be later acknowledged) that
have been able to keep most modem chipsets serviceable, given minimal
initial Linux support from the chipset manufacturers.

What is the best role for Ubuntu?  Ubuntu cannot be expected to write
drivers.  However it would be beneficial if someone from Ubuntu were
assigned to track how their special kernel changes affect ongoing
modem services.  For example, there was service for the Agere/LSI
11c11040 chipset under the 2.6.24 kernels, which has been lost under
the Ubuntu variant of the snd-hda-intel code for 2.6.25 and later
kernels.
Additionally, serviceable drivers could be put in .deb packages for
easiest installation.

# End Introduction, specific chipset cases to follow.