Re: phone as a modem.. Niesha Mahepath

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, shanie mahepath wrote:

I have no dial tone because the modem that my laptop is attempting to dial from is my laptops. The modem that I need to be using is my phone the z310a. So does this mean that I need to use gnome ppp instead? I have come so far, and this recent puzzle piece seems to be the key to getting online. As discuss before, I was able to do this with my pegux50 and I have found evidence of other ubuntu users being able to emulate a similar technique with their cpus. as always all help is appreciated.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you mixing the physical modem itself, which is probably a card (or on one) with the physical phone line that stretches to your house, then into a jack? You should be able to take the phone line, and put a regular telephone on it and dial to call someone. If that works, then you should get a dial tone at the modem as well - unplug the phone/headset and then plug that jack into the computer's modem. My internal modem has two jacks, one in, one out, only in the phone line going in needs to be connected to call out with the computer/modem. The line out, you can then take the phone/headset you tested with and plug it into that jack, possibly needing a span of new wire, and then hear a dial tone there as well (providing you don't try and use both phone/headset and modem at the same time).

First test:

 in jack [] ----- live line ------> phone/headset

Then this should work:

 in jack [] ----- live line ------> modem/computer

And finally both on one line, if required/wanted:

 in jack [] ----- live line ------> modem/comp ----- > phone/headset

As a test that the modem itself is working, if not the ISP's connection, you can put someone's (a person's) number into your (whatever you are using to control your modem with, eg, wvdial, pppd/chat, minicom, kermit, etc.) config file. Providing the modem's sound is on and turned up, you should be able to hear the person answer and then wonder why a computer is calling them. ;)

A modem is to a computer what a phone/headset is to a person - they are both ways to put data onto a live telephone line and send it along to someplace else.

Apologies if that's not what you're asking.