Re: help with mounting modems at startup

Alex Vergara Gil wrote:
Dear MarvS

I need that my modem and in general all my hard discs are mounted automatically at sistem startup, I suppose this issue must have a trivial answer but I cannot find it, could you please help me with this. I have ubuntu 8.04k2.6.24-19-generic.

Thankyou very much for your time

Alex

Hi Alex,
Modems are not "mounted". This term is only used in regard to hard disks, network resources and similar things. If you intended to say that you want your modem driver to be loaded at startup there are mechanisms for that (add the name of your driver to /etc/modules on ubuntu or /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 on gentoo etc.). If you want the modem connection to be started automatically during the boot process your use an initscript. Otherwise you can use kde or gnome facilities to start the connection whenever you login (~/.kde/Autostart for kde ... ) if you prefer that. This does however not have much to do with modems per se but that's general linux know how. You can refer to your distributions documentation for more info on that.

Kind regards
Mahdi Salem Naraghi