RE: Very Important

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Miguel Perez wrote:

I don't have option to do what you say.

Yesterday I tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 as you indicated. The fist time
appears "Welcome to Ubuntu" with different options, F1, F2, etc ... F10. It
starts to load the programmes, and, at last, it appeared...

root@ubuntu: # .. It seemed a line with command, but I did not know to put.

That's it. Here you typically run fdisk. Sometimes there's a cfdisk or a sfdisk. fdisk is pretty unfriendly to new users, but sometimes that's all there is and it will do the job. Sometimes you can use a Knoppix live CD - I've seen these come with gparted (GNU partition editor) on them. I also saw a bootable CD with a gparted and some GUI-front end, but I forget where. Possibly it was on sourceforge.net? Likely you have an fdisk already. It's usually in any Linux's /sbin directory, as it's an important system tool.

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x099152b6

/dev/hda1   *           1        4841    38885301   83  Linux
/dev/hda2            4842        4865      192780   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Shows partitions, if any, a new disk there's none or maybe ones to erase. So to work with disk hda (first IDE hard disk, here split into two partitions, hda1 and hda2) I'd do:

fdisk /dev/hda

If you have SCSI disks then they are like /dev/sda. Which disks (and thus device files) you have will depend on if you have IDE or SCSI disks, and maybe the order the disks are plugged into the IDE controller/board. An easy way to tell is look in /proc/partitions when the system is up and running Linux, or run fdisk -l. Any swap partitions are in /proc/swaps.

In Linux, all things are files and the device file /dev/hda can be thought of as a way to get at the disk that it represents.

I had to put out the machine and, again , to install Ubuntu 5.10 but, at
last, it appears in the screen:

Kernel panic - not syncing fatal exception in interrupt
Or
Kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill unit.

That's bad. That means the first program, init, couldn't even run. Finding out why is sometimes tricky.

On the other hand, I have Partition Magic in a CD but I don't have option to
use it.

Do you have any solution? Thanks.

I have to put in my 2 cents on dual-boot setups. In my experience they are complicated to set up and a waste of system resources. Having two OS's is like having two bath tubs - will you use both equally? Probably not; one (usually the better-known one) becomes the every day system and the other becomes wasted disk space. If you just want to "taste" Linux, try a live Linux CD, or perhaps install Cygwin or Mingw. If you want to move to Linux, jump in with both feet and make it your one and only install. If Linux is your only system you'll learn it quick. If the guys had luck getting your modem working (I did not follow all of the thread) then you're already past one of the biggest hurdles already.