Re: my modem is hsf or hcf ? or what my modem: i act what you say but get error

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

Fedora users,

What is the counterpart in a Fedora system of the file  below
on my Ubuntu system there is  a file

MarvS

# /etc/discover.conf: hardware detection settings

# Default settings:
#
# Enable the PCI, USB, IDE, and SCSI bus scans:
enable pci,usb,ide,scsi
# Enable the PCMCIA scan too:
enable pcmcia
# The ISA bus scan causes problems on some machines, and is slow,
# so we might not want to scan these devices:
enable isa
#disable isa
# The parallel and serial scans cause problems on some machines too:
disable parallel,serial

# Scan for the following types of hardware at boot time:
#boot bridge,cdrom,disk,ethernet,ide,scsi,sound,usb,video
boot all
## end

is the a similar file on your Fedora

This appears to be the config file for a little tool, discover:

Evidently Ubuntu has it in package "discover1", http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/discover1

 /etc/discover.conf
 /etc/discover.conf-2.6
 /sbin/discover
 /usr/share/bug/discover1
 /usr/share/discover/linuxrc
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/AUTHORS
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/ChangeLog.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/ChangeLog.mandrake.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/ISA-Structure
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/NEWS.Debian.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/NEWS.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/PCI-Structure.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/Programming
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/README.Debian
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/TODO
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/changelog.gz
 /usr/share/doc/discover1/copyright
 /usr/share/man/man5/discover.conf.5.gz
 /usr/share/man/man8/discover.8.gz

Source here, I tried to find the latest version:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/discover1/discover1_1.7.20ubuntu1.tar.gz

Likely any Linux supporting compiling stuff can have it, as it builds here and I have neither Ubuntu nor Fedora.

(With ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-rpath --with-gnu-ld )

Most if not all of the info can probably be pulled from tools like lsusb -v, lspci -v, scsi_info, isapnp/pnpdump, and by looking in /proc. The library that discover uses makes use of C function calls to get the info, which is what other similar tools do.

Kinda confusing, but there's another such file, an XML config file, for another "discover", that one based on Mandrake's "detect".

A nice tool I found (w/gtk front-end too), is "lshw", (ls-hardware) http://www.ezix.org/software/lshw.html

HTH