Re: should i update the Kernel??

Jacques,

Many new users do want to be able to use hardware which is
functionally under Microsoft boots.  So updates which implement new
hardware support can be useful indeed.

 So I am in the middle on this issue. While 2.6.9 is surely an
adequate kernel for CERN, much new hardware including Avant Garde
video boards in new PCs are only received full support under more
recent kernels.  This includes the  NVidia  card included in my home
PC, which only acquired maximal resolution under the 2.6.24 kernels.
Also for my RealTek wireless LAN card, perceived signal strength
increased substantially in the 2.6.22 -> 2.6.24 transition, in my
stable home environment.

Note that all the modems supported by ALSA drivers, updating is
trivial because the slmodemd does not have to change.  Similarly
whenever pre-compiled installers are available

What is important generally, is that the older kernel+modules set be
retained when an update to a significant new release is done.  Then
make sure that ALL functionality is retained under  the kernel. Over
the years, there have been occassional unhappy surprises accompanying
updates.

Marvin

Marvin