Re: should i update the Kernel??

Rocky,

If you check what the new kernel gives you that the old did not, and you
need this/these extras, then you have to upgrade, but otherwise, what for? Just for the "fun" of using the last one? Because you cannot afford using a kernel older than the one of your neighbor, like people who do not stop buying the newest car?

At least, you will have to recompile the driver, but the driver code has perhaps not been tested yet with the new kernel (you do not say which) and will not work with it. If you want to try and eventually correct, go ahead, but if you need the modem more than you need the newer kernel, may I suggest to leave the job to others?

Look, I am 73 years old, I am a physicist, I work with thousands of colleagues at CERN (http://cern.ch), a large research center where the Web, which everybody wongly names the Internet, has been invented for our needs. Take a look at the Web site above to get a feeling.

**ALL** of us work with the same kernel 2.6.9 !!
Compatibility, stability, often overweigh novelty.
Or, in other, cruder, words, it is a matter of using Linux to do real work or to play with operating systems.

Jacques, prof. of Physics, Technion, Haifa, Israel

Rocky Rock wrote:
hi guys, I just want to know something. If there is a new kernel
update, should i accept it?? i.e if i update the kernel is my modem
driver going to work? I use this driver now: slamr-2.6.24-19-generic if it's not, what should i do?? And where to get the new driver?

Thanx