Re: Dial up modem for Ideapad Y150

Erin,

You may have to do an  update of your  ALSA support.
This has been necessary for some others with your particular AL833 (if
I remeber correctly chipset.

See the example in the attached.  Send to list it more help is needed.
I'm traveling over the weekend.

MarvS

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Erin C. <sonyadora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If you didn't try already, plug a phone headset in (prefably into the other
>>> jack of the modem) and dial the number yourself. See if you can hear the
>>> machine at the other end. Another thing I see people try here is setting the
>>> carrier check to 'no' in the wvdial config file. If it doesn't work any
>>> better, you can always replace it.
>>
>> I know the line works because I can log into windows and dial out
>> perfectly.  I do have the carrier check = no line in my wvdial.conf.
>>
>> Should I just accept that there's no way to get the modem working in
>> linux and resign myself to a dual boot?
>>
>> Erin C.
>> --
>> "I am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of
>> life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars
>> from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me."
>> ~Blackadder
>>

> --
> "I am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of
> life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars
> from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me."
> ~Blackadder

The accumulated experience we have with cases like yours can be easily
summarized.
When a modem on a HIgh Definition Audio (HDA) card is not working
reliably, try upgrading the driver to a more recent release.
The snd-hda-intel driver is being continually improved, and some List
members have acquired reliable function through driver upgrades.
After an upgrade if the problem persists, a bug report should be sent
to the snd-hda-intel maintainer at  ALSA
Here is a success report: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg00862.html

Here at the upgrade instructions for a Ubuntu System

Check for the presence of two necessary packages on your System with
$ sudo apt-get install binutils libc6-dev
whose output on my System includes:
-------------
binutils is already the newest version.
libc6-dev is already the newest version.
-------------
If not similarly reported on your System, these packages must be installed
For Debian/Ubuntu linux-libc-dev must be installed as a dependent of libc6-dev
It not on your install CD, they can be searched out at http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and copied into your Linux partition, all can be co-installed with:
$ sudo *.deb

Make a working folder
$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/modules/alsa
Assuming your login name is John,
$ sudo chown -R john:john  /usr/src/modules/
 This make it permissible to work therein without "sudo" thereafter in
modules/ and its sub folders

You will need to download from
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page the current
stable packages,
now the  alsa-driver-1.0.16 and  alsa-lib-1.0.16
$ cd  /usr/src/modules/alsa
to unpack therein.  Prefix the PATH_to the package, to unpack with commands:
$ tar jxf PATH_to/alsa-driver*.tar.bz2
$ tar jxf PATH_to/alsa-lib*.tar.bz2
with the j calling the needed bunzip2 action.
Move into the driver folder
$ cd alsa-driver-1.0.16
where the work will be done, with calls to the parallel alsa-lib-1.0.16/ folder
Browse a bit.

Set a useful termporary defintion
HEADERS=/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/build
Check for validity with:
$ ls  $HEADERS
should show files like:
arch     include         lib             scripts
block    init            Makefile        security
crypto   ipc             mm              sound
drivers fs       kernel          net             usr
----------------
This definition does not survive a shutdown and must be redone upon reboot,
when a new driver compiling is necessary.

$ make clean
Do the configuration with with the following command on ONE LINE:
$ ./configure --with-kernel=$HEADERS   --with-build=$HEADERS
--with-cards=hda-intel
Get some coffee while it runs.

If the configuration is successful, the driver set will be compiled with:
$ make
Get more coffee. When completed the replacement driver set is displayed by:
$ ls modules
and installed by
$ sudo make install

Then reboot to have the new drivers used. Run again:
$ ./scanModem
If all is well, the diagnostics will instruct the number N to use in a modem activation line like:
$ sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,N

MarvS