Re: 11c11040 (Agere) Success, fax no

Hi,
IIRC, most Linux systems have a modem or dialout group expressly for this purpose :)
Bjorn.

Lee H wrote:
Just wanted to add that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules is a common place to load
modules with a Slackware, or a Slackware based distro. I believe several
others use this file as well.

a /etc/rc.d/rc.modules entry could look like this:
/sbin/modprobe agrmodem
/sbin/modprobe agrserial

Jephrey,

You may want to consider creating a udev rule to set "user friendly" permissions and create a symlink to /dev/modem when the modules are loaded.
Many modem related softwares look there by default.

KERNEL=="ttyAGS3", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="users", SYMLINK="modem"

Edit GROUP="users" to your distros default group (maybe uucp?). "users" is good enough for my single user machine.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:07:36 -0400 (EDT)