Re: FW: Trouble with dial up modem on Ubuntu

Ash,

Your System seems to have some strange features.  Do:
$ lspci >> ash.txt
$ cat /proc/interrupts >> ash.txt
$ dmesg >> ash.txt
and send to the List.

Do
$ bash -x  ./scanModem  2>&1  |  tee  ashscan.txt
and send just to me, so I can determine why scanModem quit early.

Run:
$  scanModem fake 10de:00d9           103c:006d
which will access archival information,  reporting 10de:00d9 is the
PCI identifier of an AC'97 Modem controller card with an Agere SIL27
modem chip, rather than an audio card.

This could be someone's mistake in a the PCI ID datebase, which is the
simplest explanation.  Is your Audio working?

Assuming 103c:006d is in fact your modem,  the most immediate problem is:
[   16.245939] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:06.1 disabled
That is, the card was disabled during the bootup diagnostics.
This is the lead problem to overcome, for which the ash.txt will
provide useful info.
If you do not need USB function, b;ocking loading of the ehci_hcd
driver sharing
  interrupt 18
may suffice to enable the modem.

Only AFTER enablement, can the standard guidance for this modem Class be useful.
----------------------
    Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
        sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance

If possible, do the modem diagnostics under Microsoft, and copy us the
ATI output responses.  SoftModem.txt has details.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer