Re: Kendall Brown, United States, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

Kendall,

I am happy to see that your modem works because this is finally what it shoud have done - you had correctly set it up as I kept repeating.

Now to your two questions.

1-You cannot surf.
This is a FAQ for which several reasons are possible and several cures for some of these reasons. Let us stick at this time to the most frequent one and cure it by the simplest cure - brute force.
Before you start wvdial please do:
sudo ifconfig (you may need to explicit the path as in sudo /sbin/ifconfig ) If you see in the result of that command a block labelled eth0 , stop that Ethernet interface by
sudo ifconfig eth0 down
eth0 could be eth1 etc...
If you are not sure send us the output of   sudo ifconfig

2-Using an alternate to wvdial.
Depending on the alternate (sorry to be vague, I never use them), it may be trivial, difficult, or impossible, to set the modem in its configuration under the name of /dev/ttySL0 assigned when you start slmodemd. However all these alternates know modems as /dev/modem so you can cheat with command
sudo  ln -sf /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem
given once you have started slmodemd of course ( /dev/ttySL0 exists only while slmodemd is active).

Jacques