Re: 11c11040 Re: Agere Systems HDA Modem

Jacques Goldberg wrote:

Graeme,
All live cd's known to me use the computer RAM to mock up a disk including the kernel and system files.
The RAM is cleared when you reboot.
Your work is then lost.
This is rather trivial and probably known to you, but have you studies these few links ?
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/14738
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ

From there onwards the modem support will go to the USB stick and will not be lost on reboot. But to keep yourself in good spirit, make sure that all the rest works fine before going to install the modem.

Jacques

Hello Jacques,

Thank you very much for the above links. Much appreciated. I hadn't actually thought about installing Knoppix onto my USB stick; instead I was waiting for Fedora 9 to come out and use the new Fedora tool for installing F9 onto my USB stick but you have given me a good idea. With 8Gb sticks out there now at relatively cheap prices I can have Knoppix on one and Fedora on another. I have been using RedHat/Fedora since RedHat 6. My desktop machine is Fedora 8. My laptop, fairly new Medion machine with 3Gb memory, has Vista SP1 installed and I do not like it one bit; such a messy, difficult, illogical OS to administer after Linux.

Thank you.

Regards,

Graeme.

Graeme Nichols wrote:

Hi Bjorn, Marvin,

OK. I have grabbed the HOWTO and studied it. While the steps are straight forward the whole thing comes undone on the reboot (Knoppix 5.3.1 live DVD).

Looks like I will have to wait until Fedora 9 arrives on the Linux Magazine DVD and I can install it on a USB stick.

I can then follow all the steps and see what I can get working on F9