Re: Need help for a (probably) Agere HDA softmodem on a Toshiba laptop (Ubuntu 64 bits)

Concerning x86_64 support, it is theoritically possible,
but takes an extensive code re-write, under which
1) a new Open Source driver would be written, which could be 64 bit compiled
2) the Proprietary components of the current drivers would be moved to
a non-driver helper application, which could function in 32 bit mode.

While this approach has been suggested to some with need skills,
it is a LOT or work.  THere has been no response as to it actually
being undertaken as yet.

Also LSI Inc., the agrsm code ower, has been asker to provide critical
components as 64 bit code.  But there has as yet been no response.

MarvS