Re: Need help for a (probably) Agere HDA softmodem on a Toshiba laptop (Ubuntu 64 bits)

Dear Bjorn, dear Marvin,

Le lundi 28 juillet 2008 à 18:25 -0300, Bjorn Wielens a écrit :
> Hi Emmanuel,
> Unfortunately, this modem (11c11040) is not supported by the slmodem driver.
> We do have an Agere proprietary driver for it that I helped hack a fix
> for newer kernels, but it will require that you run your system in 32
> bit mode to load it, as there are precompiled libraries not made for x86_64.

Ouch ! I came to appreciate 64-bit tools (I am a statistician, among
other things...). A modem is part of my "useful to have" list, but not
on the "essentials" one...

> However, there may be plans to move this proprietary core from the
> kernel modules to an external helper (as was done with the martian
> package for LTModems)

Therefore I'll wait for this. Unless I'm forced to reinstall a 32-bit
systems, in which case  pointer to this hack would interest me...

> With regards to non detection by ScanModem, Marvin Stodolsky will be the
> one to help you there.
> Please be sure you are using the latest version, since scanmodem updates
> weekly!...

Done that.

> --Marv, doesn't scanmodem do a cat on the codec#1 file to check for this?

I did it by hand...

By the way, further googling showed that contacts were made with LSI
(Agere spinoff) about Linux support for this godd*mn*d 11C1:1040 device,
and that they made nice noises about some future suport in the ALSA
snd-hda-intel device (née hda-codec). Any news on this front ?

Sincerely yours,

					Emmanuel Charpentier