Sally USA Mandriva Toshiba A105 scanModem picks up WRONG sound info, directions not working

>>Hi
>>This is Sally again, I sent scanModem MODEMDATA results last week, and they failed to work.
If this message comes twice, it's 'cause I sent it before realizing maybe I have to re-subscribe
in order for it to post, so its sent twice.

>>I know now scanModem didnt work, same as Mandriva newly installed, as
setup only 'sees' the (hard) videocard's sound section (ATI) which
>>I am pretty sure Vista is not using for this Toshiba laptop's sound setup. The ATI is our graphics
>>card which may have a sound area, but not in use according to SOUND PROPERTIES under control panel.
>>
>>There is another 'soft' sound card listed in  Vista/Control Panel/Programs, made by Realtek,
>>that the modem depends on, listed under /sound/control panel in vista. ScanModem isnt seeing it.
>>I am calling it a 'soft' sound card, because its listed as a removable program Realtek Audio, along with
the Toshiba Soft Modem.

Apparently the Linux install isnt picking up the required Realtek to install, as its a software.
So with no sound, how can the modem work?

>>In Mandriva newly installed, it "detects" the ATI card as the sound card, when in Vista we
>>use ATI only for video, and the sound for modem is REALTEK. In Mandriva, setup detected this ATI card,
>>and auto-attempted to set up during install with --alsa driver snd_hda_intel, it fails to work for sound at all, in Linux.
>>Probably because, its bypassed by this 'softsoundcard' in Toshiba's setup, entirely, or relies on this
>>soft program for Realtek somehow which ModemData's fix misses. --alsa driver 'snd_hda_intel is
also the one recommended by scanModem, on ModemData, but yet we have no sound in linux.

> [...]
>                      HDA ATI SB at 0xc0400000 irq 17
>If not a Conexant modem, the driver snd-hda-intel with its dependent drivers:
>snd_hda_intel         295196  1
>snd_hwdep              13572  1 snd_hda_intel
>----------
>provide audio + modem support with the modem chip residing on the subsystem.
>Any particular card can host any one of several soft modem chips.
>
> The modem codec file for the HDA card is: /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
>Codec: Generic 11c1 Si3054
>Address: 0
>Vendor Id: 0x11c13026
>Subsystem Id: 0x11790001
>Revision Id: 0x100700
>Modem Function Group: 0x1
>
> The audio card hosts a softmodem chip:  0x11c13026
>
>The softmodem chip 0x11c13026 is in principle supported by the COMM support of slmodemd
>and the joint snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver, begun with ALSA version 1.0.13.
>For HDA cards with ALC883 chips, an upgrade to ALSA verions 1.0.15 way be necessary. Instructions for upgrading snd-hda-intel and its dependent driver set are at: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-seventh/msg00282.html
>
>=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===
>
>Predictive diagnostics for card in bus 00:14.2:
>	Modem chipset  detected on
>NAME="Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller "
>CLASS=0403
>PCIDEV=1002:437b
>SUBSYS=1179:ff10
>IRQ=17
>HDA=1002:437b
>SOFT=1002:437b.HDA
>CHIP=0x11c13026
>IDENT=slmodemd
>SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:0,6
>Driver=snd-hda-intel
>
> For candidate modem in:  00:14.2
>   0403 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller
>      Primary device ID:  1002:437b
>    Subsystem PCI_id  1179:ff10
>    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: 0x11c13026
>                               from    Archives:
>                        The HDA card softmodem chip is 0x11c13026
>

>Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd supporting the snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver
>
> An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-hda-intel
> provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
> For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
> complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd
>
> Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
> the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
> 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
> and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
> 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
> reporting dynamic creation of ports:
>	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
> Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com