Re: Wayne, New Zealand, 2.6.24-16-generic

Wayne,

For VEN_11c1&DEV_1040 there is only support currently under i386 (not
x86_64) architecture and for a single kernel, 2.6.21.0-22.  At
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/  there is a
kernel+modules package  linux-image-2.6.21.0-22_2.6.21.0-22_i386.deb
including the agrmodem + agrserial drivers.

 It could be installed with:
$ sudo dpkg -i  linux*.deb
Someone has already tried to use this package on a x86_64 system, but
without a success.  I presume that a 32 bit bootup option,  if
possible, would be necessary.

Please report back if you run a test.  Read the agrsm_Howto.txt also.

The more general solution is alternate hardware, preferable a
Controller Chipset modem, which would be supported by Linux serial
drivers, available in every release.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM, W Jones <w-sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Marvin
> Thanks for your help so far
> The device is 1040
> From Agrere Systems HDA Modem Properties:
> Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11c1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_103C1378&REV_1002
> Cheers
> Wayne
>
> Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
>
>> Wayne
>>
>> Your modem chip resides on
>> Class 0403: 8086:284b Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H
>>   Primary device ID:  8086:284b
>> within the
>>  Subsystem PCI_id  103c:30c0
>>
>> from your information: ATI0 AGERE  Softmodem Version 2.1.72
>> There are still two possibilites two resolve, only one of which has a
>> chance of support on your x86_64 system.
>>
>> We need Details on the Device Driver/Chip designation it will start with
>> Vendor 11c1.  But we need the second component, which may be Device 1040
>> This should be accessible either under the Driver Details tab or
>> perhaps in the Modem.INF information
>>
>> Please return that information to us.
>>
>> MarvS
>>
>> On 6/21/08, W Jones <w-sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop on a dual boot HP 6710b laptop and
>>> having difficulty locating a modem driver.
>>> uname -r returns 2.6.24-16-generic
>>> ATI commands under Window$ returns the following:
>>> ATI0 AGERE  Softmodem Version 2.1.72
>>> ATI4 Built on 6/29/2006 13:13:02
>>> ATI5 2.1.72, HDA MB, HDA, A3 S-Rev:35 L-Rev:3, 09
>>> ATI7 HDA MB
>>> ATI8 HDA, A3 S-Rev:35 L-Rev:3
>>> ATI9 New Zealand
>>>
>>> ModemData.txt attached below
>>> Can you help?
>>> Cheers
>>> Wayne
>>>
>>> Only plain text email is forwarded by the  Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List
>>> Server,
>>> as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
>>>          YourName, YourCountry  kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
>>> With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case
>>> names left in the Archive.
>>> YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Linux experts in
>>> YourCountry
>>> can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html.
>>> They will know your Country's modem code, which may be essential for
>>> dialup service.
>>> Internet Provider mail filters.
>>> So in a day, also check the Archived responses at
>>> http://www.linmodems.org
>>> --------------------------  System information
>>> ----------------------------
>>> CPU=x86_64,
>>> Linux version 2.6.24-16-generic (buildd@yellow) (gcc version 4.2.3
>>> (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008
>>> scanModem update of:  2008_06_05
>>>

>>> Some modem drivers can only be used in 32 bit modem on x86_64 systems,
>>> while some others are competent on x86_64 Systems.  Cases are:
> [...]
>>> for the snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver. Also applicable to AC97 modem
> [...]
>>> 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>>>                     HDA Intel at 0xe4804000 irq 16
>>> === Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent
>>> software. ===
>>>
>>> A candidate modem is not evident among the PCI devices:
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
>>> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>>> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
>>> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
>>> Controller (rev 03)
>>> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E)
>>> IDE Controller (rev 03)
>>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E)
>>> SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
>>> 02:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
>>> (rev 02)
>>> 10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
>>> Network Connection (rev 02)
>>> 18:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M
>>> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>>> with USB and bridge devices not displayed.
>>>
>>> If your modem is connected by an external serial cable,
>>> or mounted internally on an ISA card, scanModem would not access it.
>>> Try with Root permission
>>> $ sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
>>> to detect these modem types and some USB modems.
>>> If the detection is successful, read the DOCs/wvdial.txt .
>>> Edit the /etc/wvdial.conf with Root permission:
>>>    sudo  gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
>>>  will be able to dial out with Root permission:
>>>   sudo wvdial
>>>
>>> Many modems for which scanModem fails have Conexant chips.
>>> From http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
>>> get the ListModem tool, which will report on Conexant chipset modems
>>>
>>> If the above tests fail, please provide any independent information
>>> available on your modem.
>>> If an alternative boot into Microsoft windows can be done, do mouse
>>> clicks on:
>>>  Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for Window XP) >
>>> System
>>> click to
>>> expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be displayed. For
>>> example, CXT
>>> stands for Conexant. Click the Diagnostics Tab. Record any hardware ID
>>> or vendor
>>> and device information. From the Driver Details TAB, copy out the VENdor
>>> and DEVice information.
>>> Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications displayed such
>>> as:
>>>   ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
>>>   ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
>>> Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF.
>>> If may contain chipset Vendor informaton.
>>>
>>> The /proc/asound/ audio+modem diagostics are being copied.
>>> Finished copy to Modem/ALSAroot.tgz
>>>
>>> Predictive diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
>>> NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H "
>>> SUBSYS=103c:30c0
>>> PCIDEV=8086:284b
>>> IRQ=16
>>> HDA=8086:284b
>>> SOFT=8086:284b.HDA
>>>

>>> High Definition Audio (HDA) cards MAY host a modem chip in their
>>> Subsystem,
>>> and many are supported by the ALSA audio+modem driver snd-hda-intel
>>> A modem was not detected on HDA card 8086:284b.
>>> If another modem card is present, then most likely 8086:284b does not
>>> host a modem.
>>> If another modem card has not been detected, then possibilities are:
>>>   1) A Conexant modem chip is present on 8086:284b, as Conexant chips
>>> are frequently not detectable by ALSA diagnostics
>>>   2) The modem may be of the older non-PCI Controller Chipset
>>> (hardware) type.
>>> Try detection with Root permission:
>>>   sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
>>>
>>> For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
>>>  Class 0403: 8086:284b Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H
>>>     Primary device ID:  8086:284b
>>>   Subsystem PCI_id  103c:30c0
>>>   Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
>>>                              from    Archives:
>>>

>>> Support type needed or chipset:
>>>
>>> Support can likely be achieved through two mutually exclusive
>>> alternatives:
>>> 1) The hsfmodem software for Conexant chipset modems: Read
> [...]
>>> Under Linux unpack with:
>>> $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
>>> Then install with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
>>> Subsequently, the modem should be found with
>>> $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>>> Edit in your personal information with:
>>> $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
>>> and try dialing out with:
>>> $ sudo wvdial.
>>> See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.
>>>
>>> Read DOCs/Conexant.txt
>>>
>>> Writing DOCs/Conexant.txt
>>>
>>> Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt
>>> ============ end Smartlink section =====================
>>>

>>> The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
>>>
>>> Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.3
>>>            and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.3
>>>

>>> Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
>>>  make utility - /usr/bin/make
>>>  Compiler version 4.2
>>>  linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build
>>>
>>> However some compilations and executable functions may need additional
>>> files,
>>> in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed
>>> in  /usr/include/ .
>>> For martian_modem, additional required packages are libc6-dev (and for
>>> Debian/Ubuntu,
>>> linux-libc-dev). The also required headers of package libc6 are
>>> commonly installed by default.
>>> Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
>>> packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
>>> In not included on your install CD, search for them at
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
>>> When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.
>>>

>>> If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some
>>> FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
>>> Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
>>> The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
>>> and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev
>>>
>>> If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
>>> $  apt-get update
>>> $  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
>>> will install needed packages.
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
>>> display the needed package list:
>>>
>>> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
>>> they can be installed alltogether with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>>

>>> Checking pppd properties:
>>>   -rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 313600 2007-10-05 09:48 /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
>>>   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html
>>>
>>> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>>>   $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>>>       sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>>>   sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> Checking settings of:    /etc/ppp/options
>>> crtscts
>>> lock
>>> hide-password
>>> modem