Re: slmodem source

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
Gustavo,
   The only code available is the slmodem package you are working with.
The history is briefly as follows.  Sasha Khapyorsky did the port of
the Smartlink code from Windows to Linux, as a contractor to
Smartlink.  He never had access to the raw source code  that go into
the two precompiled.o (don't have these filenames memorized) that are
used in the slmodemd and the slamr.ko.

Smartlink still owns the underlying technology, though they have sold
the distribution rights to Conexant.  Conexant of course has no desire
to support hardware other than their own.  Sasha relates that the
current Smartlink management has no interest in further supporting
Linux.

So for the forseeable future, the slmodem source package is all we have.

It was Zello who brought support to the 1057:3052 chipset, merely by
adding the 1057:3052 to the recognized chipset list.  This trick does
Not work for any of the other Motorola chipsets:  various users have
tested.

1057:3052 works right on my box (and on many others, as the mailing list may witness). I keep on connecting at strange speeds (actually at 52.000 bps, often as 50.600, sometimes at 36.600), maybe depending on the quality of the signal (the dsp algorithms may be more sensible to noises - we cannot say, since we ain't got the sources [if we got them, I would not likely have the skill to understand them: dsp processing is by no means like inserting a couple of values in a database, believe me]).

If you're interested in debugging, please note that:
- slamr (and slusb) accepts a parameter "debug" ranging from 0 [default] to 3. I don't know about slamr, slusb treats every value different from 0 in the same way (printing out a lot of debugging stuff). - slmodem also accepts a -d (or --debug=VAL), and a -l (--log=VAL) command line option. I did not look at the code, but it seems to print a lot of (really obscure, judging from my poor understanding of the modem algorithms and signal processing) stuff.

Hope this helps, have a nice day.

--
zello