Re: slmodem source

Gustavo,   The only code available is the slmodem package you are working with.The history is briefly as follows.  Sasha Khapyorsky did the port ofthe Smartlink code from Windows to Linux, as a contractor toSmartlink.  He never had access to the raw source code  that go intothe two precompiled.o (don't have these filenames memorized) that areused in the slmodemd and the slamr.ko.
Smartlink still owns the underlying technology, though they have soldthe distribution rights to Conexant.  Conexant of course has no desireto support hardware other than their own.  Sasha relates that thecurrent Smartlink management has no interest in further supportingLinux.
So for the forseeable future, the slmodem source package is all we have.
It was Zello who brought support to the 1057:3052 chipset, merely byadding the 1057:3052 to the recognized chipset list.  This trick doesNot work for any of the other Motorola chipsets:  various users havetested.
RE: The connections ocurrs once. On the second the modem doesn´t respond----Thanks for this information. Under Ubuntu/Debian$  sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-deamon restartmight suffice for a complete of the modem sub-system
Antonio   You should try the equivalent under Fedora.
Gustavo,   A related problem is that a complete rewrite of the Open Sourceslusb.ko code is necessary to maintain functionality into 2.6.25 andbeyond.  Should you know of competent people who might help, contactZello (see excerpt below)
MarvS
2)  - we can rewrite from scratch the whole slusb driver, which doesnot use any .o file (the whole source is in st7554.c & modem_defs.h),and release under gpl (or bsd) license [BTW, bsd license is not thatfar than the original SmartLink license]. We don't even need to do anyreverse engineering, but I suppose that's not fair.3) - we can move the usb driver in userspace (if it's possible, I didnot try as I ain't got an usb modem to test), using /proc/bus/usb &libusb. There's no need to adhere to gpl if we stay in userland.Moreover, since libusb seems to be portable, it would be a steptowards porting slusb & slmodem under *bsd and other unices. I don'tknow if I got the skills, but I got no modem to test, that's sure.
On 5/12/08, Gustavo Fernando Padovan <gfpadovan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Is there any doc about the source code? I didn't find on the site.>> I have a Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem [1057:3052] and it doesn't work> fine against kernel 2.6.24. The connections ocurrs once. On the second> the modem doesn´t respond. I want to debug the code to find out it> causes.>> ps: Other problem is the modem speed. This only connect at maximum of> 28800 bps. Who is resposible for speed. The slamr driver, ppp or> another one?>> Thanks> and Sorry for my bad English. (i'm learning yet  ;-)>> --> ----------------------------------------------> Gustavo Fernando Padovan> Engenharia de Computação 2006> LAS - Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas> Instituto de Computação - UNICAMP>> gfpadovan@xxxxxxxxx> ra061316@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> pao@xxxxxxxxxx> ------------------------------------------->> Seja Livre, use Software Livre>