Re: : 0x11c11040 chip modems on HDA cards

Dear Marv,

I have checked the rpm.  I am running Slax(Slackware based Live CD) at
home.  I have downloaed the rpm and I have done a rpm2tgz and then
used slax's tgz2lzm(creates slax modules) .  I have viewed what the
file contains.

The problem(s) the rpm serves only kernel 2.6.21.0-22/  it would
server better purpose to find the source file(s) and attemp to compile
with other kernels.  Someone, the license is not open.  The people at
LSI are the ones that hold the key to the code, but are they willing
to release it?

Here's what I did.

Hope it helps in some way.

I have such a beast(11c11040) on a laptop.  I have tried to compile
slmodemd-20.9.11-20070813 with alsa support and I get very close, but
the modem does not dial, from the code generated below, the
slmodemd-2.9.11-200XXXX will not server here, a kernel
dependent/kernel dependent modules need to be created to make the
modem functional

root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers/char# ls
agrmodem.ko  agrserial.ko
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers/char# ls -l
total 1552
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1556675 Oct  9  2007 agrmodem.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   19893 Oct  9  2007 agrserial.ko

Otherwise, we will get nowhere.  Red Flag linux is based on which
other linux?  The sources need to be offered, otherwise we and other
users which have the 11c11040 LSI modems are at a loss.

Regards,

Antonio

root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# rpm2tgz agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.rpm
root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# ls
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.rpm  agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# ls -l
total 1212
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 629161 Apr 22 21:49 agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 593789 Apr 22 21:49 agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# cp agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz ../
root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# ls
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.rpm  agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
root@slax:/tmp/fakeroot# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp# ls
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz  fakeroot/  kde-root/  ksocket-root/  mc-root/
root@slax:/tmp# tgz2lzm agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz

Convert Slackware's TGZ package into .lzm compressed module
usage: /usr/bin/tgz2lzm source_filename.tgz output_file.lzm
root@slax:/tmp# tgz2lzm agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.lzm
Installing package agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386...
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

[==================================================================]
11/11 100%root@slax:/tmp#
root@slax:/tmp# ls -l
total 1080
-r-------- 1 root root 495616 Apr 22 21:51 agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.lzm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 593789 Apr 22 21:50 agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     80 Apr 22 21:49 fakeroot/
drwx------ 2 root root    100 Apr 22 21:47 kde-root/
drwx------ 3 root root    300 Apr 22 21:45 ksocket-root/
drwx------ 2 root root     40 Apr 22 21:10 mc-root/
root@slax:/tmp# mkdir 11c11040
root@slax:/tmp# lzm2dir ag
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.lzm  agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
root@slax:/tmp# lzm2dir agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.lzm 11c11040/
root@slax:/tmp# cd 11c11040/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# ls
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# cd etc/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc# ls
init.d/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc# cd init.d/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc/init.d# ls
agr_softmodem*
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc/init.d# cat agr_softmodem | more
#! /bin/bash
#
# agr_softmodem     Install agere modem driver
#
# chkconfig: 2345 83 30
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: agere modem modules
### END INIT INFO

# Source function library.

. /etc/init.d/functions

group="uucp"
mode="666"

device="/dev/ttyAGS3"

case "$1" in

  start)
  echo "Starting Agere Soft Modem"

  /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/agrmodem.ko; \
  /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/agrserial.ko; \
  daemon /usr/lib/AgereSoftModem/AgereMdmDaemon

  if [ -e /dev/modem ]
  then
      :
  else
  ln -s $device /dev/modem
  fi
        ;;

  stop)
  echo "Shutting down Agere Soft Modem"
  killproc AgereMdmDaemon
  /sbin/rmmod agrserial; \
  /sbin/rmmod agrmodem; \
        ;;

  restart|reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;

  *)
        echo "Usage: agr_softmodem {start|stop|restart|reload}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc/init.d# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc# ls
init.d/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/etc# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# ls
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# cd lib/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib# ls
modules/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib# cd modules/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules# ls
2.6.21.0-22/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules# cd 2.6.21.0-22/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22# ls
kernel/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22# cd kernel/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel# ls
drivers/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel# cd drivers/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers# ls
char/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers# cd char/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers/char# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers# ls
char/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel/drivers# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel# ls
drivers/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22/kernel# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22# ls
kernel/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules/2.6.21.0-22# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules# ls
2.6.21.0-22/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib/modules# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib# ls
modules/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/lib# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# ls
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# cd usr/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr# ls
lib/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr# cd lib/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib# ls
AgereSoftModem/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib# cd AgereSoftModem/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib/AgereSoftModem# ls
AgereMdmDaemon*  LICENSE
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib/AgereSoftModem# cat LICENSE
Agere Systems Soft Modem End User SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

YOU SHOULD READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT BEFORE YOU
DOWNLOAD AND USE THE AGERE SYSTEMS SOFT MODEM LICENSED SOFTWARE.  ONCE
YOU HAVE READ THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AND AGREE TO ITS TERMS, YOU MAY
DOWNLOAD AND USE THE AGERE SYSTEMS SOFT MODEM LICENSED SOFTWARE.
DOWNLOADING OR USING THE AGERE SYSTEMS SOFT MODEM LICENSED SOFTWARE
SHOWS YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT.

The terms and conditions of this Agreement will apply to the Agere
Systems Soft Modem Software (hereafter "Software") supplied under this
Agreement and any derivatives obtained therefrom, including any copy.
The term Software includes programs and related documentation supplied
herewith.

The following file is made available under the standard Linux license,
a copy of which may be found at <http://www.linux.org/info/gnu.html>.
serial26.c

These additional files are not derived from any Linux open source
content, and are subject to the following restrictions.
agrsoftmodem.c
agrmodem.h
linuxif.h
agrmodemlib.o
Makefile
agrinst
agruninst
agr_auxinst
agr_softmodem
README

1.0     TITLE AND LICENSE GRANT

        1.1     The Software is copyrighted and/or contains
proprietary information protected by law.  All Software and all copies
thereof are and will remain the sole property of Agere Systems or its
suppliers.  Agere Systems hereby grants you a non-exclusive right to
use the Software, in whatever form recorded, which is furnished to you
under or in contemplation of this Agreement, in an Agere Systems Soft
Modem.  Any other use of the Software or removal of the Software from
a country in which use is licensed shall automatically terminate this
license.

        1.2     You agree to use your best efforts to see that any
user of the Software licensed hereunder complies with the terms and
conditions of this Agreement.

2.0     SOFTWARE USE

        2.1     You are permitted to make copies of the Software
provided that any such copy shall contain the same copyright notice
and proprietary marking included on the original Software.

        2.2     You agree not to merge or combine any portion of the
Software with any other software, other than the Linux operating
system, unless expressly permitted by the laws of the jurisdiction
where you are located.  Any portion of the Software merged or combined
with the other software will continue to be the subject of the terms
and conditions of this Agreement and you agree to reproduce on the
merged or combined portion of the Software the copyright and other
proprietary rights notices included in the original Software.

2.3     Redistribution and Usage
 Agere permits use and limited redistribution of this Licensed
Software in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
subject to the following terms and conditions, in addition to the
terms mentioned in this agreement.
2.3.1   Agere Systems reserves the right not to allow a third party to
reuse or redistribute the software, at its sole discretion.
2.3.2   User hereby agrees not to remove or alter any copyright,
trademark, credits and other proprietary notices contained within or
associated with the Licensed Software, and shall include all such
unaltered copyright, trademark, credits and other proprietary notices
on or in every copy of the Software.
2.3.3   Notwithstanding any other provisions in this Agreement to the
contrary, any modifications or alterations made to the Licensed
Software shall cause any warranties and intellectual property
indemnifications to become null and void and of no further effect.

3.0     DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY

        3.1     You understand and acknowledge that the Software may
contain errors, bugs or other defects.  The Software is provided on
AS-IS basis, without warranty of any kind.

        3.2     Agere Systems has used reasonable efforts to minimize
defects or errors in the Software.  HOWEVER, YOU ASSUME THE RISK OF
ANY AND ALL DAMAGE OR LOSS FROM USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE.
Specifically, but not in limitation of the foregoing disclaimers,
Agere Systems does not warrant that the functions of the Software will
meet your requirements or that the Software operation will be
error-free or uninterrupted.

        3.3     Agere Systems bears no responsibility for supplying
assistance for fixing or for communicating known errors to you
pertaining to the Software supplied hereunder.

        3.4     YOU UNDERSTAND THAT AGERE SYSTEMS, ITS AFFILIATES,
CONTRACTORS, SUPPLIERS, AND AGENTS MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

4.0     EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITIES

        4.1     Regardless of any other provisions of this Agreement,
neither Agere Systems nor its affiliates, contractors, suppliers, or
agents shall be liable for any indirect, incidental, or consequential
damages (including lost profits) sustained or incurred in connection
with the use, operation, or inability to use the Software or for
damages due to causes beyond the reasonable control of Agere Systems,
its affiliates, contractors, suppliers, and agents attributable to any
service, products, or action of any other person.

        4.2     This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with
and governed by the laws of the State of New York.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT,
AND THAT BY DOWNLOADING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND
BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS.  YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT THIS AGREEMENT IS
THE COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT OF THE RIGHTS AND LIABILITIES OF
THE PARTIES.  THIS AGREEMENT SUPERCEDES ALL PRIOR ORAL AGREEMENTS,
PROPOSALS OR UNDERSTANDINGS, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN US
RELATING TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT.

root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib/AgereSoftModem# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr/lib# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr# ls
lib/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/usr# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# ls
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# cd var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var# la
-bash: la: command not found
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var# ls
log/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var# cd log/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# ls
packages/  removed_packages/  removed_scripts/  scripts/  setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd scripts/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/scripts# ls
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/scripts# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup# ls
tmp/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup# cd tmp/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup/tmp# ls
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup/tmp# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup# ls
tmp/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/setup# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# ls
packages/  removed_packages/  removed_scripts/  scripts/  setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd packages/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/packages# ls
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/packages# ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 624 Apr 22 21:50 agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/packages# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# ls
packages/  removed_packages/  removed_scripts/  scripts/  setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd re
removed_packages/ removed_scripts/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd removed_
-bash: cd: removed_: No such file or directory
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd removed_packages/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/removed_packages# ls
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/removed_packages# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd removed_scripts/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/removed_scripts# ls
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/removed_scripts# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# ls
packages/  removed_packages/  removed_scripts/  scripts/  setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd scripts/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/scripts# ls
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log/scripts# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# ls
packages/  removed_packages/  removed_scripts/  scripts/  setup/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var/log# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var# ls
log/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040/var# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# ls
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
root@slax:/tmp/11c11040# cd ..
root@slax:/tmp# ls
11c11040/                       agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.tgz
kde-root/      mc-root/
agere-driver-1.0-10dd.i386.lzm  fakeroot/                       ksocket-root/
root@slax:/tmp#