Re: What is this for a Softmodem?

Marc,

If you just open

http://chaoshardware.de/ubuntu.php

you will see a report on the installation of Ubuntu 7.10
If you read all the page you will reach a section marked INFOS
There you can see that the author has the same modem hardware as you.
If you then browse back to the top you will meet a section marked _WWAN (UMTS):_

which shows that the modem (which is obviously for GPRS connections, not standard analog lines) does work although the author reports an "error" (I cannot see which,as there are two WARNINGS which can be ignored). When the attempt to connect sets the remote IP, local IP, and DNS addresses, the modem is ready to work. If it does not it is because there also is an other active communications channel such as Ethernet or WiFi which ought to be closed (otherwise programs do not know which channel to use ...)

Finally, on that subject, the author of the report is asus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx as shown at the bottom of the page, to whom you can write to get help with your hardware which looks like being the same.

About the link http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

which "does not work", what you really observe is not that the link does not work but that the server (computer) does not answer.

This means that the server computer is broken, or powered off, or that a part of the network serving this computer is down.

Presently, indeed, there is a power outage for maintenance in my office which hosts the server.

If the schedule is respected and power returns on time to the server and to the local part of the network, the link should be available at about 10:00 GMT (11:00 in Schweiz).

Good day - Jacques

Marc Ziegenhagen wrote:

Hello Marvin

I have now looking unter windows there I found the following informations
Modem - Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP (COM4)
Manufactur: CXI	Path: 65535
Soft K56V_B2.1_V7.66.00
CModem Version 12