Re: Are you guys still there?

Dear Jacques,

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Forgive me my "stupid noob" ways. I did not mean to insult you or the aforementioned community of volunteers. I was referring only to the linmodems.org site which i now see you don't exactly have much control over. This was my first post to the mailing list and I wrote it mostly to find if the mailing list had any activity as the hundreds of forum posts I went through previously were almost all over two or three years old. I have since visited your site and would like to compliment you on the good work. As for my actual Linux distribution, I will (for now) prove myself a complete idiot and install Suse 10.3 (against your advice just because I cant get anything else at the moment, and my Ubuntu disk is apparently partially corrupt) just to see if it works well enough. Marvin Stodolsky has recommended that I ditch the Broadcom modem and move on to my Lucent one, which I am currently in the process of doing.

Once again I apologize for my tendency to click "send" before I think and examine all the facts,

--Someone23

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Dear Sir,

Had you taken the time to look down to the THIRD result supplied by Google, not just the first, out of the "about 139,000", you might have perhaps moderated your style, As author and maintainer of the third site quoted, I did feel deeply insulted by your "comments".

It is good network etiquette that sites authors supply their address at the bottom of the site main page. Had you looked down until the bottom of the page which you studied, you might have seen an address for your remarks, without the need to insult a whole community of volunteers who work for many people, yourself included along with many others.

Jacques

D. C. wrote:
sorry, i was thinking of http://www.linmodems.org/ home page - the very first result that pops up to the aforementioned Google query.

what i mean is that about half the links are dead, the page NEVER mentions the 2.6 kernel, but does have information on the 2.2 kernel (which i feel has been around since before i was born). It has links to "mandrake" drivers before it was renamed to mandriva, and while i was first introduced to *nix systems while i was in the 7th grade (that was 2002-2003), i never remember seeing a version of RedHat that was 6.2 as is mentioned on that webpage. In fact I thought that the first release of RedHat started at 7-something just because the developers felt like it. In fact, i get the impression that that page was written before dial-up was invented by some psychic who could gaze into the future BEFORE the internet was invented. I would even believe it if someone told me that Noah himself wrote that page while he was stuck in the ark during the flood.

sorry for the rant, I had to get it out. By the way, I posted the new results of the SCANMODEM tool for 3 different modems I have on the discuss thread as you told me to. Also, you told me in a previous email that i wasted 40 cents burning openSuse, which made me sad :( . Whats wrong with it? Should I try fedora? I want something big so i don't have to worry about dependencies.

many thanks!
--someone23

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Dear D.C. someone23.

Centuries ago, even until 1989, there were no Web pages at all.
But since, the number of Web pages is growing very fast.
Google, for example, queried for linmodems, supplies "about 139,000" results. It would thus save us, volunteers, a LOT of time, if you could supply the URL which you found not updated in centuries: just think of the time it would take one of them to check "about 139,000" pages in order to help you?

Jacques

D. C. wrote:
It seems the linmodems page hasnt been updated in centuries. Is anyone still there? Anybody? I've been struggling with winmodems ever since the 2.6 kernel first came out - haven't been able to get a single one of the 5 modems I have to work!. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME???

thankx