debian script

Hi Antonio and the list

Some time ago I asked for help regarding a problem with my sm56 modem,
that needed to be reinstalled everytime I booted the machine. Antonio
sent me some instructions of how to solve it (see below). Now, i
changed my linux distribution to Debian (kernel 2.6.18-5-686) and am
having the same problem with the modem.
I've found out there are some differences between Mandriva and Debain,
such as in Debian there is not a /etc/rc.d/init.d/ folder, instead
there is a /etc/init.d and also there is not a /etc/modprobe.conf
file.
My question is where should I add the following line:

'install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe
--ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660
/dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp uucp /dev/slamr0)'

Thanks in advance,
Beny

Copy the script slmodemd on slmodem-2.9.11-20070430/scripts/mandrake
to /etc/rc.d/init.d/

Add the following as a single line
  /* for automation/autoloading of slmodemd, Thanks Marv for your advice */
Add the following as a single line to /etc/modprobe.conf
Note:  you need to become superuser su - or su - root,

install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe
--ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660
/dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp uucp /dev/slamr0)

# cd /etc/rc.d/init.d/
# chmod +x slmodemd
# chkconfig slmodemd --add
# chkconfig slmodemd --list

[root@localhost init.d]# head -8 slmodemd
#!/bin/sh
#
# slmodemd:    Starts the SmartLink Modem Daemon
#
# chkconfig: 345 90 10
SmartLink Modem driver
# processname: slmodemd
# config: /etc/sysconfig/slmodem
[root@localhost init.d]#

The chkconfig line & description line must go into
every script that is to go under the control of
chkconfig. The description line seems pretty
self-explanatory. the chkconfig line:

# chkconfig: 345 90 10
              |  |  |
              |  |  priority for kill scripts
              |  |
              |  priority for start scripts

              run levels at which to start service

[root@localhost init.d]# cd ..
[root@localhost rc.d]# for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
> do
> ls rc$i.d/*slmodemd*
> done
rc0.d/K10slmodemd
rc1.d/K10slmodemd
rc2.d/S90slmodemd
rc3.d/S90slmodemd
rc4.d/S90slmodemd
rc5.d/S90slmodemd
rc6.d/K10slmodemd
[root@localhost rc.d]#

you might need to add to /etc/rc.d/init.d/slmodemd the lines

modprobe ungrab-winmodem
modprobe slamr
if the modem is not autostarted.

for #2 you can try to change the Init strings with an +MS=90 like

/etc/wvdial.conf
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttySL0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2  +MS=90
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = 7072000
Username = my_username
Password = my_password
Carrier Check = no
Stupid Mode = yes
Auto DNS = yes
[root@localhost ~]#

Hope this helps.  Report back success/failure of autoloading of slmodemd.

Regards,

Antonio

--
Beny Spira