Re: Weird External Serial-USB Modem Error

I tried running the drivers as modules but it still doesn't work.

It is working, only ATD...

Is there a way to debug this?

Thanks

Amir

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

Just for clarification,
usbserial just provides access through the USB ports cable to older
serial port supported hardware.

But the serial drivers already compiled into the kernel are doing the
detailed work. These can be displayed by:
$ grep SERIAL  /boot/config-2.6.22-14-generic | grep -v USB
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_DETECT_IRQ is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_EXTENDED=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MANY_PORTS=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=48
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PCI=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RSA=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y

MarvS

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM, umesh b <umesh.kollam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Marvin Stodolsky

<marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

RE: >  It's weird since all the other AT commands works, including
 >  ATH0 and ATH1.
 >  I'm not with my Linux sources now, but these responses come I believe
 >  from the Drivers and not the modem hardware. Thus there seems to be a
 >  problem in fully controlling the modem hardware through the
 >  USB->Serial routing.
 >
 >  MarvS
 >

 >  On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Amir Levin <amir.levin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >  > Hi Marvin,
 >  >  I am communicating through a serial port (attached to a USB connector)
 >  >  to a serial external modem.
 >  >  The error that the modem returns on ATD is the same through all the
 >  >  programs I tried (minicom, wvdial and hylafax dialer).
 >  >  It's weird since all the other AT commands works, including ATH0 and ATH1.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >  On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:30 AM, TamcoAv <tamco@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Okay, I think I found your problem.
 >  >  > http://freshmeat.net/projects/minicom/
 >  >  > try using wvdial instead...," Minicom is a serial communication program."
 >  >  >

 I am also using a USB modem and it i working fine in Opensuse. Are
 sure the number does not have any prefix?? I called up the phone
 company and they gave me dial string as "#777"(without the quotes).
 Please check with the phone company. I am using Kinternet as the dial
 program. I am uisng the usbserail.ko module as the driver

 --
 umesh3034