Re: Jacques, Ubuntu 7.10, slmodemd, post-install

>> I noticed a default route 0.0.0.0 while the connection is up.
>> I am stunned to see ETH1 in the following excerpt from /var/log/messages:
>> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

Maybe this has something to do with BOOTP or DHCP. It's been a while, but
I recall that these protocols start with the host requesting an IP address
sending a packet with 0.0.0.0 as its source address. Since BOOTP and DHCP
are usually done locally, it seems entirely possible that they might
*force* an ethernet interface up if none is currently available.

It might not be sufficient just to kill all BOOTP/DHCP processes while
troubleshoot your problem. I would explicitly reconfigure your box to
prevent BOOTP or DHCP from starting (including "cron"), physically
disconnect any network cables from your box, make sure your box *cannot*
communicate by wireless, then reboot. I don't know the details because my
experience is with a proprietary embedded system completely unrelated to
any *NIX or Microsoft operating system.

A Google search for:
	+addrconf +netdev_up
came back with many hits suggesting that this might be common problem.